A resignation letter is the last document you’ll be presenting to the organization. Therefore whenever possible, try to resign first in person and then come up with a formal resignation letter. But, at times your personal situation may go otherwise, due to which it becomes impossible for you to resign in person and you need to vacate the office immediately. Just as sometimes the new company you are joining requires you to join immediately at some other location. You may decide to assist last organization through online mode. In such case, you often end up presenting the immediate letter of resignation through emails.
Guidelines For Resigning Through Mails :
Here are few things to be kept in mind if you decide to resign through emails :
- Telephonic Conversation: When you cannot present personally, it is always advisable to make a telephonic conversation with your boss and then follow up with a formal mail of resignation. Just providing a mail and not informing through any other measure will always sound unprofessional.
- Provide A Week’s Notice:.
- Even if you are resigning immediately, try to send your mail at least a week before. Or else try to send it as soon as possible.
- Offer Help: Offer your help in the period of transition whether online or in person, whatever possible. So, that your work can be further carried on accordingly.
- Apologize to be unable to present personally: You must apologize to your former employer to not be able to present the resignation letter personally. You should also give an explanation for your immediate resignation.
- Mention the date: You must clearly mention the exact date with effect from which you’ll be vacating the office. Don’t be vague and unsure about the same.
- Be concise and focused: An email is always presented in the shortest possible way. It’s brief and more focused than the hard copy resignation letter. Thus, don’t go into unnecessary details that make your email lengthy and informal. Be concise and focused to the point of your desire of resignation from the particular date.
- Acknowledgement: Even in the shortest email try to add on a line for expressing gratitude towards the organization you have worked for several years, from where you have learned and earned and from where you have exploited several opportunities to contribute to your professional growth.
- Mention your contact information: Provide in your email the details regarding your new address, phone number, emails and other relevant details to be required to contact you in future.
- Confirm after sending: Formally ask your employer whether or not he has received your formal email of resignation. These small professional steps will help you to maintain good future relations with your last organization.
Sample Of Resignation Letter Through Email :
After sending your formal email, always try to formally apologize to your employer to not to present the resignation letter in person, whenever it’s comfortable for you. An in-person conversation is always preferable to maintain healthy future relations than an email conversation.