How To Write An Appointment Letter/ Offer Letter (With Sample Format)
An employment letter or appointment letter is a formal letter which is provided by an employer to a candidate who got selected for an employment in the company. It is generally provided on the first day of the candidate joining or after S/he is selected for the job S/he interviewed for. The appointment letter describes about the position S/he got selected, his or her job responsibilities, salary offered, benefits or perks (if any), confidentiality policy, joining date of the candidate, work policy, other important information about the employment which were discussed at the time of Interview.
A candidate needs to return a signed copy of an appointment letter back to the employer which would indicate the acceptance of the job position offered to a candidate. One copy is retained by the Employer and another is retained by the Employee for the future reference.
It is generally printed on the company’s letterhead but many companies choose to send the appointment letter on the body of an Email. It is important for an appointment letter to be signed by the Management or HR Manager and in case, the candidate accepts the position, S/he needs to return it to the employer to indicate the acceptance of an employment. Once the appointment letter is signed and accepted, a contractual obligation will be fulfilled by both the parties by binding.
What is the purpose of writing an appointment letter?
The Human Resource manager or HR manager of any organization who is into a documentation of candidates will need the format of an appointment letter to officially and formally offer a job to a prospective hire. There are many things which are left unsaid at the time of employment, a proper Appointment letter will fill in the blanks and connect the dots about the details of an employee for an employee. It will answer any questions or details S/he may have about the job responsibilities expected out of her/him. Apart from this major reason, following are the other reasons why appointment letter is written
- It is very important for an applicant to know the result of an Interview and it is the duty of an HR Manager or authorized person to inform applicants about the same. Conveying him/her the same will give them a positive impression of the company S/he is applied for. The appointment letter will allow the selected or qualified applicant to know S/he has passed the different level of interview stages and examination process (If, any) that S/he has to undergo for the Job position S/he had applied for.
- During the interview, not everything regarding the Job position is discussed in detail. In the Appointment letter, the applicant gets an overview of the nature of the job the company is allotting to the applicant in detail manner. Appointment letter also explains the nitty gritty of the job profile given to the selected candidate that may answer any question S/he may have about the job. Apart from giving an overview of the job responsibilities, candidates will get to know the services which company will provide to him or her on the date of joining.
- One can use the appointment letter to explain the circumstances that made the company to select the candidate for a particular job position. In it, the HR Manager can show the results of the application which made him/her the suitable candidate in comparison to the other possible choices who also applied for the same position.
- In the appointment letter, a candidate will get to know all the benefits and other advantages S/he may expect to get if S/he accepts the job offer. Qualified candidates will also get to know the additional bonuses and entitlements that S/he may get upon his or her regularization. Conveying what the selected candidate will get in exchange for the expertise that S/he is providing to the company will instill positivity and confidence in the employee.
Inclusions Of A Job Appointment Letter
The basic appointment letter will include the following information and with reference to this, you will get the samples of appointment letter format down below. First, get down to understand what are the essentials of an appointment letter or what should be included in an appointment letter format.
- HR Manager or the authorized person needs to write the date on which the appointment letter was written
- The message of confirmation should be there in the appointment letter
- Mention the name of the candidate who qualified in the interview
- Add basic information about the qualified candidate. For e.g. applicant’s present address and contact information
- The designation, job position, job responsibilities which are offered to the applicant in the company
- Short description of the business and its operations to give an overview to the selected candidate
Structure Of An Appointment Letter
An offer letter or an appointment letter is an official document which is sent by an employer to a selected candidate to offer him or her employment in the company. A hiring manager needs to typically call the selected candidate to let them know about the position S/he is being offered. However, a written email or written confirmation of the offer from the side of an HR is also needed to clear the conditions of the employment. Following is the structure which an HR Manager needs to follow while drafting Appointment letter.
- Job Title
- Starting Date of Employment
- Salary being offered
- Benefits and the perks to an employee
- Acknowledgment of Offer and Confirmation of Acceptance
Guidelines when you are creating a Job Appointment Letter
If you are an HR Manager then you have a major responsibility to create a Job Appointment Letter for the qualified applicants due to the importance it holds. Although there are some guidelines that an authorized person or an HR Manager needs to follow while drafting an appointment letter irrespective of the position of a candidate or the scale of the company it is in.
- An appointment letter sets the start of the employee and employer relationship. So, an HR needs to make sure that to lay out a positive professional relationship, an appointment letter should reflect the company policies in detail. It may not be completely necessary to explain the selected candidate everything about the Job appointment but it is important for an HR Manager to guide the applicant about the initial process which needs to be done before the joining.
- It is a duty of an HR Manager to make the Job appointment letter sound both warm and professional so that the candidate for whom it may concern can feel welcome so much so that S/he accepts the offer letter. You need to inform the qualified candidate about the expectations S/he may have for the particular job offer. And it can only be done with the help of a selection of words and the way that the information will be relayed.
- At the end of the job appointment letter, you need to mention the date till which an applicant needs to revert. Basically, you need to make candidate aware about the last date till which S/he needs to revert about whether S/he will be joining the company.
- The HR Manager needs to ensure that the appointment letter is cohesive, professionalism and reflect the corporate values of the company that is needed to impress the applicant.
SAMPLE APPOINTMENT LETTER FORMAT AS AN ADVISOR/ CONSULTANT
XYZ (Name of the employee)
XYZ (Address of the Company)
With reference to the discussions you have had with us at the time of the interview, we are pleased to appoint you as “_______” for our company on the following terms and conditions.
- You will be paid a consolidated amount of Rs._______ per annum and it consists of the following terms:-
- Rs _______ per annum as fixed pay, and
- ______ per annum will be your variable pay which is entirely linked to your performance in the company
- This appointment is for two years which will be effective from the date of joining which is _____ and will be valid until ____. It can be renewed on a mutual basis as per company decision.
- For the period you are recruited in XYZ (Enter your company name), you will be working from ___(Location) and will report to ____(Enter the name of the reporting person). However, you should keep in mind that the services allocated to you can be transferred to any other Divisions/ Department of the company. From time to time, your job profile can be reassigned to any other company as seen fit by the company.
- If a company sees fit and find it necessary, you may also be assigned other duties in any branch or office of the company.
- As per the company policy, you are eligible to take ___(Enter the number of days S/he is allowed to take a leave) on the pro-rata basis per the calendar year. However, leaves will allow subject to requirements of work at that time.
- The company will provide you with comprehensive Medical/ Accident Health Insurance for you and your spouse. In addition to the above, you will not be entitled to any other benefits or perks.
- You shall observe all rules and regulations set by the company board for employees to maintain the harmony and decorum in the company and its subsidiaries
- Candidate should know that this appointment can be terminated by giving three-month notice on either side in lieu of shortfall in your performance.
- As per the company rules, the candidate is not allowed to engage him or herself in any other assignments without the proper consent of the management.
- It is the duty of a candidate to maintain the highest order of secrecy with regards to the confidential information handed over to you of the company and its subsidiaries. In case of any breach of trust, your appointment can be terminated by the company without giving any prior notice.
Kindly sign a copy of this letter to indicate your acceptance of the above-mentioned terms and conditions and return the same for our future records.
(Enter the name of the business head or the HR Manager)
(Enter the full name of Company)
GENERIC APPOINTMENT LETTER FOR ALL JOB POSITIONS
Date (On which date this appointment letter is written)
XYZ (Name of the employee)
XYZ (Address of the Company)
Appointed as _____
As per the interview you have given on ____(Mention the date) in our company for the above position, we are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for the same position and we would want you on board with us effective from ___(Proposed date of Joining). Following are the terms and conditions of employment with us. It is required from you to go through it and revert us back via the same mode.
Your starting salary will be Rs ____ per month
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD
Your appointment with us as ____ is subject to a probationary period of three months. A further official confirmation of your appointment will be notified to you in writing on your joining day.
- WORKING HOURS
Your working hours will be as follows
Lunch break will start from and ends on:
Sometimes you may be required to work on irregular hours including Saturday and Sunday. However, for this appropriate time off will be considered.
Leave of absence whether medical or annual will be given in accordance with the company’s Employee handbook. However, an employee needs to make sure that leave application on a prescribed form must be made in advance and send it to the HR Manager one week in advance.
4.1 Paid leave
The annual leave will be as follows:-
- If you are employed for 1-3 years then you will get this number of leaves
- If you are employed for 4-5 years then you will get this number of leaves
- If you are employed for more than 5 years, you will get this number of leaves
4.2) The maximum number of leaves fixed for you are ____(Write the number of leaves the employee are allowed to take). Employee’s needs to make sure that leaves should be taken in interval periods unless requested for special reasons for which a leave application should be sent to the HR for approval
4.3) Employees are allowed to carry forward a maximum 7 working days to the following year and but it should be utilized by the end of that year.
4.4) Marriage Leave
Those employees who are permanent are entitled to 2 days marriage leave
4.5) Compassionate Leave
Those employees who are permanent are entitled to leaves subject to sudden demise in their family. Leave entitled are as follows
3 days- the death of spouse, child or parent
1 day- the death of in-laws
The bonus is entirely dependent upon your performance and company’s profitability. It is generally payable at the end of the financial year at the Annual general meeting
Any deduction from your share and employer’s share of contribution will in accordance to the respective ordinance which is currently enforced
7) Period of Notice for termination of employment
- If an employee is joined in the first month of probation then S/he can terminate his or her without giving notice
- In the second month of probation, S/he needs to give a minimum of 7 days notice to terminate the service
- After the end of probation of one month, an employee needs to give one month resignation period.
8) Fringe Benefits
When the satisfactory probation period ends, you will become our permanent employee that makes you entitled to the fringe benefits specified in the Employee Handbook.
It is the duty of a candidate to maintain the highest order of secrecy with regards to the confidential information handed over to you of the company and its subsidiaries. In case of any breach of trust, your appointment can be terminated by the company without giving any prior notice.
10) Resignation/ Termination
The company is at liberty at any time during the employment to terminate your employment service if found
- Guilty of misconduct
- Negligent in his or her duties
- Absent and alleging ill-health
If you are agreeable to the above terms and conditions, then kindly confirm your acceptance by signing and returning the duplicate copy of this letter for our file and records.
(Enter the name of the business head or the HR Manager)
(Enter the full name of Company)
SAMPLE APPOINTMENT LETTER FOR SENIOR/ MIDDLE/ JUNIOR MANAGEMENT
- Name of the employee
Dear (First name of the employee),
With reference to the discussions you have had with us at the time of the interview, we are pleased to appoint you as “_______” at _____(Top/middle/junior level) in the management cadre for our company on the following terms and conditions.
- Basic Salary: You are recruited by our company at Rs/- ____ (only ) per annum. Your salary will be revised from time to time linked to your performance.
- Special Allowance: You will be given Rs _____/ per annum.
- Food Coupons: You will be entitled to food coupons provided by us worth Rs _____/- per month
- Leave Travel Assistant: You will be given to Rs _____ per annum for each completed year of service as per the rules.
- Domiciliary Medical Expenses: You will be given Rs (__) per annum for each completed year of service as per the rules.
- Accommodation/ H.R.A: ___(Percent) of your basic salary will be paid to you as house rent allowance. If you are provided a company accommodation, the same will be regulated by the relevant policy.
- Hospitalization: An employee of our company would be covered under the company’s hospitalization scheme
- Provident Fund: – As per the company policy, 12% of your basic salary will go towards the provident fund. The similar deduction will be made from your salary.
- Superannuation:- If you indicate a desire to do so, the company will contribute 15% of your basic salary per annum towards superannuation fund till you attain the age of ____. You can refer to Mr. ___ for further information about the Company superannuation program.
- Gratuity: As per the company policy, you will be entitled to an equal of 15 days of your last salary drawn for every completed year of service.
- Corporate Attire: Company is giving you the privileged to select corporate attire worth Rs ___/- . If you wish to opt out from this scheme, the company will contribute 50% of this amount in your account.
- 1) Applicant should know that this order of appointment can be terminated on either side of the party by giving a three-month notice.
8.2) The Company reserves the right to terminate your services with us without assigning any prior notice or specific reason whatsoever by giving you three months notice period or three months salary in lieu thereof.
8.3) The employee should know that the company also reserves the right to terminate you on the grounds of misconduct or even in the case of reasonable suspicion of disloyalty, or any act of indiscipline
9) Initially, you will be posted at ____ (Enter the position name) and you will be responsible to report to —— (Enter the name of reporting manager). However, you should know that your services could be transferred to any other Departments, divisions, anywhere in India.
10) This appointment letter is subject to your being medically found fit. During the tenure of your service, management has a right to get you medically examined by any qualified medical practitioner.
11) This appointment letter is also subject to a satisfactory report got it from your former employers based on the reference given by you at the time of interview
12) As per the company policy, you will automatically retire from your service on attaining the superannuating age of 58 years. This is the reason we would need your birth certificate at the time of joining the company.
13) All other existing rules, policies, and practices of the company and which may be modified from time to time will be applicable to you and it will be expected of you to abide by the same.
14) All the benefits which are enacted by the law from the state or central government would be extended to you and you would be entitled to such benefits.
15) It is the duty of a candidate to maintain the highest order of secrecy with regards to the confidential information handed over to you of the company and its subsidiaries. In case of any breach of trust, your appointment can be terminated by the company without giving any prior notice.
16) If a company finds it suitable, you can be sent for a specialized training within India or overseas in order for you to perform more effectively as the company sees fit. If this happens, you need to sign a training bond with the company.
17) This offer of employment is based on the information given by you in an application form for employment. If at any time, it comes to the knowledge of the management that the information provided by you is incorrect and we get to know from other sources that you have withheld relevant information from the company, your appointment will be terminated without notice.